Friday, June 20, 2008

Diet & Exercise

So for whatever reason, I had a really bad holiday season this past winter when it comes to food.  I was eating a lot more than I usually do, and I wasn't really editing what I eat, and I am paying the price.  All my clothes are tight and don't look right.  

I've been trying to watch what I eat.  I'm not necessarily dieting, but I'm trying to pay attention to nutrition and eat more vegetables and less crap.  I copied Lindy's chicken and olive dish relatively successfully, and I've been eating a lot of fish and vegetables over the past week.  The nutrition and vegetables are going pretty well.  I've noticed something else, though, which is that I'm ok eating like a reasonable adult during the day, but when it's late at night, I want a snack.  I've tried delaying dinner, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  And because I have no will power, I end up eating something I shouldn't, like a peanut butter sandwich or a bowl of cereal.

I suppose one solution is just going to bed at a reasonable hour like a normal person, but that's hard for me, especially when there are quality movies like Starship Troopers on tv, which is what I have going in the background right this very minute.  Even with TiVo, I get sucked into this crap as it's broadcast. 

I don't have this problem when I'm not at home.  When I'm on the road, I probably don't eat as healthfully, but I also don't want a snack right before bed.  I also watch a LOT less television when I'm traveling.  It's not that I'm necessarily working all the time, either.  I think I end up reading more, or I'm visiting with local friends whom I don't usually get to see.  Apparently, there's a lot of inertia at home.  

Shana and I are going to try to keep each other honest.  I told her that I think she has a harder job than I do, but she claims that without a wedding as a goal, my job will be equally hard.  I might try to restart "Ye Olde Foode Confessione" with Jennifer and Vera, too.

I really wish I like working out, but I don't.  I was doing well with it last year for a while.  I'd go for a walk in Memorial Park on Sunday, and then I'd only have to make myself get to the hotel gym for half an hour twice during the week.  I stopped because my shoes were bad and killing me.  I'm kind of bitter about that, actually, because I bought them in Portland at a specialty running store, and they made me live through the trauma of VIDEOTAPING MY GAIT, and then WATCHING IT.  And after all that, my shoes still hurt me!  GRRRRR!

Anyhoodle, I have a new pair of shoes, so I'm going to try to start back up.  My friend Carrie is going to run a marathon in Baltimore on a weekend that follows a week when I have to be in DC.  Kris will run 3 miles with Carrie as encouragement, so my big, fat, training goal is to be able to run 3 miles with Carrie as well.  Carrie said she's not trying to set a PR (personal record), so it's ok if I'm slow.  She's trying to check another state off of her list.  Yes, Carrie is crazy.  She's trying to run a marathon in all 50 states.  I'd be really happy if I could just run 3 miles without stopping to walk.

(You guys -- Starship Troopers is really awesome.  It's so totally over the top!!!  I have to hide my eyes at some of the gross parts, but it's truly spectacular.)

So the very slow working up to being able to run is starting again.  I don't understand how it can already be near the end of June without even trying, but 30 minutes on the treadmill feels like an eternity.  God help me, but the time seems to go faster if "Two and a Half Men" is on.  I'm so ashamed, because that show is NOT GOOD.  And at the same time, it makes me laugh.  It's so guilty a guilty pleasure that I won't even record it.  Humiliating.

That's it really.  Trying to eat right and exercise more.  This means that if you see me, you should snatch the ice cream cone out of my hands.

No comments: