Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Just testing

Allegedly, I can e-mail an entry to a special address, and it will magically appear on the blog. I'm just sitting on my plane to NYC, watching all the nice people go by. Well, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on the "nice" part, which isn't like me.

I had the sad realization last week that I'm right at, if not past, that technology divide where you join your parents in the class of people who are baffled by technology. Actually, it's not so much that the how baffles me (so I can still do the modern equivalent of setting the VCR clock so that it doesn't flash 12:00 all the time) as much as the why baffles me. Why do I need my phone to play music, surf the web, watch TV, and work as a phone? I would be happy with a teeny, tiny, brick (as opposed to flip) phone that only worked as a phone and let me send and receive text messages (in which I often still type out full words -- technology divide meets grammar and spelling geek). Guess what. Nobody makes a phone like that anymore.

Ok, so I've seen many, many men put their briefcases in the overhead compartment. Annoying. You know what was kind of satisfying about boarding this plane? A guy asked the gate agent if first class was full, and of course, the answer was yes. The guy then asked if the gate agent was sure, which the gate agent was. When they boarded the flight, first class went first, and I happened to be second in line. Apparently, I don't appear to be first class material because that guy also got in line, and when the gate agent said something about first class only, he said, "SHE's in first class?" as if I had stolen his upgrade. I flew 95,000 Elite-qualifying miles last year, buddy. Shut it. Especially since I'm dressed more nicely than you are.

Ok, they're gearing up to go, so I'll stop. I love seeing people write in the comments! Melissa -- I think an oldest would be best for me, but I'd entertain the idea of a baby. :-)


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

umm, i agree with the angry guy on your plane: i can't believe that they let catherine choe into the rarified world of domestic first class, with its super-ritzy accoutrements like free cheap wine, worn/stained seats, and surely old bitty stewardesses. things have really gone down hill since the old days when only top drawer folks like movie stars, c-level execs., and rockefellers were allowed up there. i guess they're all on private jets now, driven away by all the itinerant salespeople and the like. catherine, j'accuse!

Anonymous said...

i meant surly not surely. . .before grammar beeaaatttcchh catherine comes down on my azz.

Catherine said...

Nice catch on surly, but you forgot rarefied. How you doin', Scott, I mean, Jean-Francois? :)

shanaeden said...

Love the blog! Much better way to keep track of you than a "this week" email... I'm bored in Minneapolis, so I looked for a phone for you. Check out the Nokia 2125i -- very low tech. I also found phones designed for kids and seniors that meet most of your qualifications, but this one seems like the winner!

Anonymous said...

ugh, SPELLING BEEAAATTTCCCHH! you need a blog with spell check on for the comments. . .

JoeKrippel said...

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. I believe that this is another example of how the corporate empire is trying to . . . well, I won't rant about that today. Suffice it to say that I agree, with the exception that I find an outlook-compatible calendar an indispensible portion of my cell phone/pda. Additionally, anyone who does not work for the airline should not be bringing anything on board the plane other than a good book or magazine or the equivalent, or their work if they want to work. If you do, you simply have no class.

Melissa and Sean said...

i am just getting caught up.

a youngest, no way! you'd eat him alive!