Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Every Day for a Month?

Apparently, BlogHer is observing June as National Blog Posting Month (or NaBloPoMo).  It's a little confusing, because it looks like May was also NaBloPoMo, but whatever.  I'm willing to give it a shot over here.  BlogHer also gives a helpful theme to drive postings, and this month's theme is fan, and the writing prompt today is "Are you a fan of a sports team? When did you become a fan?"

I am a fan of a sports team (the Astros), but a pretty casual one.  When I lived in Houston, I lived across the street from the baseball park, and I made that choice on purpose.  Partly, it's because rent on that side of downtown is relatively cheap (all the homeless shelters and the people who wander around them and hang out at them bring down prices), and partly it's because I liked the idea of being able to drop in on a baseball game whenever I wanted.  Plus, it was a great excuse to have a hot dog for dinner.

Moving to be closer to your baseball team of choice might not seem indicative of just being a casual fan, but I'm not a diehard.  I'm happy when the Astros do well, and I'm disappointed when they don't (which has been happening more frequently in recent years).  I don't live and die by it.  In college, my friend Bitsy quoted a comedian who said that rooting for a sports team means that you root for a set of clothes.  I can't get attached to the clothes, but I can to individual players.  The players I liked most, Biggio, Tavares, Berkman, Ausmus, and Everett, have all retired or been traded away.  I like the uniform, but I don't know the current team well enough to invest the time, which translates into being interested in the scrolling scores on ESPN when I flip by, but not much more than that.

I'm totally a diehard fan of ballpark hot dogs, though.  DELICIOUS, as long as I don't think too hard about it.

No comments: