Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June 8: What are you not a fan of?

OH, MY GOD -- HAVE YOU MET ME???  I am not a fan of people, crowds, amateur travelers, cilantro, celery, narcissists, people who treat me like I'm stupid -- SO MANY THINGS.

I'm currently waiting for my flight in the Red Carpet Club in the international terminal of SFO.  I'm not going overseas, just going home, but for some reason, my flight here and my flight home are both using this terminal.  I have no complaints.  I had a lovely glass of sauvignon blanc, snacked on a lot of veggies and ranch, consumed an embarrassing amount of cheese, and made a tiny bit of progress on a deliverable.  I also booked a hotel room and figured out a meeting place for a client meeting.  I wasn't as productive as I wanted to be, but I was still productive, damnit.

Anyway, one of the things I love most about the Red Carpet Club (or any airline lounge, really) is that nearly everyone here is an experienced traveler.  That means that there's a lot less jostling and clueless entitlement here than there is in the rest of the airport.  (Experienced travelers are entitled, but not cluelessly so.)  People here don't have more baggage than they're supposed to, and they tend to comport themselves like people who have grown up and lived in a civilized society.  There are a couple of exceptions at the bar right now, but you can't blame a couple of drunk ladies who are watching their hockey team in the NHL finals.

The one thing you do have to watch out for that's kind of a universal problem is people talking on their cell phones like they are at home in private.  What the heck is that?  It's like once their call connects, they go blind.  Or they think that the rest of us become blind and deaf.  Just because we are politely ignoring your ridiculous conversation does not mean that we're not listening and JUDGING you.  Because we totally are.  Totally.

One time I was on the Acela headed back to DC from NYC, and I got to hear a recap of someone's therapy session.  This person was chatting with a friend and recapping her last therapy session.  On the train.  Which is in public.  And you all wonder why I hate people and seek out the quiet car.

So yes.  I'm not a fan of people when they forget that we're all part of a larger civilization, and while you may not agree with the rules or you may think that you're super special and the rules don't apply to you, IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THE RULES ALWAYS APPLY.

And now I have to run away from the drunk hockey fans.  See you tomorrow.

No comments: