Tuesday, June 7, 2011

June 7: Are you the fan of a certain brand?

THE fan?  I don't know if I could be called the number one fan of any brand.  I'm certainly A fan of many.  I think all you're going to get out of this post is a list of products.  Sneaky way of advertising, Blogher.  We all have our favorites:

Toothpaste:  Crest
Face wash:  Cetaphil and Bliss
Toothbrush:  Oral-B
Sunscreen:  Neutrogena
Makeup:  Bare Minerals
Toilet paper:  Northern
Paper towels:  Bounty
Dishwashing liquid:  Ivory or Dawn
Dishwasher detergent:  Cascade
Laundry detergent:  Tide

It's strange that it took me less than 60 seconds to name all those brands.  I read an article once that said that brand loyalty comes from childhood, that people will be loyal to the brands their parents used.  That's definitely true for me when it comes to toothpaste, toilet paper, dishwashing liquid, and laundry detergent.  When I was growing up, the brands you see up there were the products we used.  My mother is a lot less loyal now and pretty much buys what she has a coupon for or whatever is offering the best deal.  We're using Palmolive dish soap right now, and I hate it.  It does a really good job of lathering into lots of happy suds that seem to disappear instantly. 

I know people who are absolute slaves to luxury fashion brands -- they must have Louboutin shoes or the latest Louis Vuitton bag.  I've sensed a certain amount of negative judgment wrapped up in all of that, a kind of "I'm wearing this expensive brand, so I'm better than everyone else."  It makes me uncomfortable.  I refuse to believe that because my shoes don't cost $400, I'm less than.  What also makes me uncomfortable is my reaction to people like that:  "I DIDN'T waste $400 on a pair of shoes, so I'm obviously smarter than you."  That's not right, either, and just as unfair.  It's funny how a pair of shoes can play so hard on so many different kinds of insecurity. 

Anyway, yes, I'm the fan of several certain brands, partly for nostalgic reasons and partly for reasons of merit, but mainly, probably, because of billions of dollars of research and clever advertising.

No comments: