Friday, June 3, 2011

June 3: Which author made you want to be a writer (or blogger)?

This is an easy question to answer for me:  Florence King.  I discovered her when she wrote "The Misanthrope's Corner" on the last page of National Review and proceeded to try to read everything she ever wrote.  She's funny and acerbic, and she has absolutely no tolerance for any bullshit of any kind.  She's the person who made it clear to me that not only did I not like people, but that I wasn't the only one, and it was ok to feel that way. 

The thing is, I don't want to be a writer because I have any sort of compulsion to write.  Or at least, I don't have a daily, or even weekly or monthly, compulsion to write (witness this sad little blog).  I only write when I have something to say, and most times, Facebook takes care of that urge.  The reason I want to be a writer is because to me it means that most of my wardrobe could consist of pajamas and that I could be very selective about the people with whom I interact.  I wouldn't have to expose myself to undesirable crowds of people going out in the world every day to work.  Instead, I would only see people I knew and liked or had been carefully vetted by people I knew and liked.

The truth is, though, that I rarely leave the house in my current job, so I don't have to interact with the unwashed masses, and I am nearly always in pjs.  The lack of human interaction is slowly driving me crazy.  I guess I'm not as hard-core a misanthrope as Miss King, but that's ok.  I'd still like to find out if I could be a writer and whether I have a book in me, especially if I can justify buying more pjs.

No comments: