Friday, June 10, 2011

June 10: Have you ever drastically changed your opinion of an author as you read their book? Become a fan? Lost your fan status?

When I was recovering from surgery several years ago, a couple of friends bought me a book by Marian Keyes, who is now one of my favorites.  I try to read everything she writes.  Her books are interesting in that you'll go along, thinking that you're reading something light and funny, and then WHAMMO all of a sudden, the plot gets darker, and loose ends that you didn't know were loose get tied up and plot points that you didn't know were plot points get brought together in a very satisfying way.  You'll laugh, then cry, then laugh and cry.  I love her. 

When I saw on the cover of P.S. I Love You that a reviewer had likened Cecelia Ahern to Marian Keyes, I bought the book.  I don't know what the hell that reviewer was thinking, because the book was AWFUL.  The only thing that Ms. Ahern and Ms. Keyes have in common is that they're Irish, which connotes many things but does not guarantee writing talent.  I don't know what editors do, but they must not do what I thought they did, because this book was so disorganized and had so many weirdly and awkwardly constructed sentences that I spent most of the time spent reading the book feeling really frustrated.  I'll give her props for not sticking to a tired, romance novel formula, but the mess that was left was unpleasant to read.  It's been YEARS since I read this book, and I'm still angry that I lost 2 hours reading it.

So I guess the answers to the prompt are yes, yes, and yes.  See you tomorrow.  If I remember.  Sigh.

No comments: